Full-Time Teen Counsellor Job Description
Full-time Teen Counsellors are responsible for ensuring our energetic teens on board have the holiday of a lifetime!
You will be part of an energetic and dynamic team who provide a variety of engaging activities for teens aged 13 to17. Our onboard Teen Centre Entourage, offers a cool hangout for our young guests alongside engaging activities such as team sports, themed days, DJ lessons, pool parties and neon graffiti.
Under the direction of the Youth Program Manager the Teen Counselor is responsible for the safety, coordination, scheduling, and implementation of teen programs. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed which may include hosting events, and a rotation into the youth programs. In order to consistently exceed guest expectations and provide the highest levels of product and services, additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned as needed.
Teen Counsellors work on board on full time contracts. This role is perfect for those who want to start a long term career at sea! You will be on board for 6 months at a time, with short breaks in-between contracts. Our full-time vacancies are more suited to those who have worked in a similar environment previously, however we also consider applications from experienced professionals looking for a change from the 9-5!
- Bachelors Degree or foreign equivalent in a course of study related or relevant to childcare is required.
- Current and active CPR/First Aid Certifications from a recognized educational institution are required
- Minimum of two years experience in a combination of programming and implementing teen recreation, teen sports, and teen theatrical performance for ages 13-17 is required.
- Minimum one year experience in programming and implementing theatrical/drama related activities is required; knowledge of teen trends and activities, music, games, video games, and movies is preferred.
- Intermediate to Advanced skills in typing and computer software skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook) is required.
- One year experience communicating via microphone, using/programming DJ and light/sound equipment is preferred.
- Unique hobbies are a plus: to include but are not limited to: Juggling, Theater, Gymnastics, Sports, Dance, Singing
- One year experience with special needs programming strongly preferred.
- One other language such as German, Spanish, French or Italian is preferred.
- Teen Counselor must be passionate about working with children and embrace the Norwegian Mission.
- With guidance from the Youth Program Manager, the Teen Counselor is responsible for creating a teen activity booklet listing all of the scheduled activities for the sailing.
- Teen Counselor must have the ability to coordinate with other departments to create exciting and unique programs for teens such as Mocktail, Mixology, Cooking, Dance, Singing, Improv etc.
- Teen Counselor must be proficient in all DJ equipment as well as light and sound equipment and have the ability to train other Teen Counselors in the usage of the equipment.
- As a member of the cruise staff, the Teen Counselor is responsible for implementing the scheduled social, entertainment, sporting, recreational, theatrical, and craft programs/activities while ensuring that each activity takes place safely and promptly as scheduled.
- Teen Counselor must be capable of running programs in large and small group settings while being consistent with program content.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable speaking on a microphone and be an effective Host/Hostess with the ability to engage large groups of people of a variety of ages in a public venue.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable with dressing up in costume and performing character roles.
- Teen Counselor must be comfortable speaking with parents regarding general ship information as well as Youth and Teen Program policies and guidelines.
- Teen Counselor must be a leader and have confidence when handling guest concerns such as addressing disruptive behavior and implementing the discipline policy.
- Each Teen Counselor must have the ability to work harmoniously with cruise staff members, as well as with all other shipboard departments.
- Gain amazing experiences worldwide
- Competitive salary
- Save your salary (food and accommodation costs met)
- Take your first career steps in the travel and tourism industry
- Form a worldwide network of lifelong friends
- On-going positions available year round
Unlike most recruiters, you do not need to fill out endless job applications, simply create a profile and we’ll see which positions are suitable to your skills and experience
Create a profile (creating a profile is your application for this job)