Recruit case study
Top Tips for a Successful Skype Interview
You may be an expert on Skyping your family and friends, but have you thought about how you want to come across to a potential employer?
Preparation is the key and here are our top tips to help!
More Kings Recruit case studies
- Download Skype well in advance of the interview, switch on your camera and watch yourself
- Have a practice call to friends or family and use the ‘Skype test call’ function
- Consider the effect of your Skype name – will you come across as professional? Jokey names will not make a great first impression
- Set the scene ahead of time. Consider the right lighting and surroundings – a blank or neutral background is best
- Make sure all your upper body is visible, not just your face. Hand gestures are important and need to be seen
- Make sure you look the part. Dress according to the company and position you have applied for
- Don’t forget to smile and make eye contact – look at the camera and not the screen
- Speak clearly and convey enthusiasm. Avoid talking over your interviewer (especially if there’s a slight time lag because of the connection)
- Make notes and have them in front of you (slightly cheating, but better than looking down at a notepad!)
- If you do have any technical glitches, stay calm. Suggest calling back and check your connection is strong enough